The earlier development of engines works on the numbers of cylinders, meaning the more the cylinders the greater the performance. Well that’s for the earliest development. But that’s no longer true ever since the development of turbochargers and fuel injection systems, making cars with fewer cylinders to perform well than cars with larger engines.
Note this, whether your engine has two cylinders or twelve, the petrol and diesel fuel additives are developed to clean the fuel system, reduce emissions and significantly improve the performance of your engine. Thus, fuel efficiency is low.
This article will expose you to the various engine cylinder configurations. Previously, some articles were published on difference in automobile engine. Checkout!
Engine Cylinder Configurations
The followings stated below are the different types of engine cylinder configurations
1. Twin cylinders: these engine cylinder configurations are rare, due to it capacity and low power output. It is found on the Fiat TwinAir cars version like the Fiat Panda Aria and Fiat 500 TwinAir. This is because the turbochargers make use of small, eco-friendly twin-cylinder engines.
2. Three Cylinder: three cylinder engines are mostly found on small cars, but recently start appearing on larger family hatchbacks like Ford focus. The engine is known with a distinctive burbling noise and their shuddering vibration. This factors affects the engine balance.
3. Four Cylinder: the four cylinder is the most common configuration that exist on majority of small to mid-range cars. It offers good amount of engine output and the introduction of turbocharger makes it more powerful. The engine is set in an inline layout.
4. Five Cylinder: these engine cylinder configurations are very rare. just like the three cylinder engine, it also suffers vibration leading to offset and imbalance of the engine, affecting it comfort and refinement.
5. Six Cylinder: six cylinder engine are commonly set up in V or straight engine layout. It is found on high-end performance and sports cars ever since turbocharger is implied. However, history has made us understand that six cylinder engines weren’t considered as the most powerful.
6. Eight+ Cylinders: engine with these types of cylinder configurations are normally set up in a V formation, which can be referred as V8, V10, and the recent released V12.
Cars with eight or more cylinders are often found in super sport car. The V12 is the largest engine uses thus cylinder type not until the arrival of Bugatti Veyron with sixteen cylinders.
- Different types of engine layouts
- Understanding an Automobile Engine
- what is a car chassis and its importance?
I hope you’ve got a lot reading the article and found it useful. If so, kindly comment and share with other on social media. Thanks!