Just as there are various vehicles, they come with different types of chassis frames which we are discussed below. You’ll also get to know the advantages and disadvantages of these types of car chassis. In my previous article chassis have been examined in detail checkout!
Understanding car chassis and its importance?
Types of automotive chassis
All vehicles come in two types of chassis namely; conventional chassis which is known as frame-full chassis and non-conventional chassis.
these types of chassis frames support all the systems like engine, braking system, transmission system, suspension system, etc. in a vehicle. The frame is made in separate unit giving a shape of a ladder frame. The conventional chassis frame is often found in bigger vehicles, truck bus SUVs, etc. these chassis are so tough that they don’t often damage even in accidents. This chassis is also known as “body on chassis”.
Read more: Understanding automobile air conditioning system
Advantages of conventional chassis
- It has a higher load capacity and strength
- Easy to design and manufacture
- Easy to repair after an accident
- Parts that are fitted on the chassis can easily be dismantled and repair
- Vehicles with conventional chassis tends to vibrate easily and the handling and refinement is lower
- It consumes much fuel due to the heavier weight is added to the vehicle
Read more: Understanding the working of automobile brainbox
Non-conventional chassis or frameless chassis are types of chassis also supports all parts or system in a vehicle. But in this situation, it does contain a ladder frame, the body act as the frame. That is, the bodywork has been composed into one another. It is also known as unibody chassis. This unibody chassis is mostly used on modern vehicles and suited on luxury cars Just as the conventional chassis, this chassis also has its advantages and disadvantages which will help you know the best choice among the two.
Read more: Understanding the types of automotive fuses
Advantages of non-conventional chassis
- Higher body rigidity and weight makes the handling better
- Due to the absence of frame joint, vibration and shaking of some loose parts reduce.
- It consumes less fuel when compared with conventional chassis
- It is not save in case of accident
- It has low capacity of carrying load
- Vehicle design not really that cool in some condition
Watch the video below to learn the various types of automotive chassis:
Read more: Understanding an automotive relay
That is all for this article, where the various types of car chassis are being discussed as conventional and non-conventional chassis. The advantages and disadvantages of these chassis have been examined. I hope you enjoyed reading it, If so, kindly share it with other students. Thanks for reading, see you next time!