Admissions, Business School, and Notable Alumni at the National University of Singapore
The National Institution of Singapore is Asia’s and the world’s top comprehensive research institution, with a global teaching and research focus anchored in Asian contexts. At both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, the university offers a diverse range of courses ranging from science to music.
The National University of Singapore has 17 faculties and institutions spread across three main campuses: Kent Ridge, Outram, and Bukit Timah. NUS has a diverse and demanding curriculum that incorporates transdisciplinary and cross-faculty programs. The university uses a semester-based modular system and small group instruction (modules), which is a hybrid of British and American methodologies (course credits).
Because of its revolutionary teaching, students can transfer between courses, take electives from multiple faculties, participate in study abroad exchange programs, entrepreneurial internships, double degree, and joint degree programs with other prestigious schools around the world. Students enjoy a great deal of flexibility in terms of pursuing their artistic, athletic, and cultural passions at the same time. Around 38,000 students from over 100 countries attend the university.
The National University of Singapore is well-known for its high-impact research in life sciences and biomedicine, engineering, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Read more: Spanish CRG Summer Internship Program 2022
National University of Singapore’s Acceptance Rate
The University of Singapore (NUS) is a highly selective institution with a low admittance rate. The institution receives thousands of applications each year, the majority of which come from Asia. The acceptance percentage, however, reduces to 5% because each class has a restricted number of seats.
The Business School at the National University of Singapore
For more than 50 years, NUS Business School has produced outstanding graduates. NUS Business School, which was founded the same year as Singapore’s independence, is currently regarded as one of the world’s best business schools. It distinguishes itself by blending the finest of global business knowledge with in-depth Asian perspectives, preparing students to lead Asian enterprises to worldwide success while also assisting foreign businesses in Asia to prosper.
A varied range of clever and talented students are drawn to the school’s comprehensive array of academic programs, which include BBA, MBA, Executive MBA, MSc, and Ph.D. degrees, as well as bespoke and open enrolment Executive Education courses.
The school boasts an illustrious international faculty with degrees from Harvard, Wharton, MIT, Oxford, and other prestigious institutions. Aside from teaching, the National University of Singapore Business School’s research culture is based on producing knowledge that is not only rigorous in terms of academic contribution but also relevant and powerful in terms of influencing leadership and policy formulation in the private and public sectors.
The university has been accredited by AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System), indicating that it satisfies the highest business education standards.
The NUS Business School is located on the main campus in Kent Ridge. The University has a variety of cutting-edge multimedia facilities on campus, as well as modern libraries with ample instructional resources and study rooms. On-campus, there are also some food and retail opportunities. Students can also use the Internal Shuttle Bus to get about campus and between campuses.
The business school (Masters) of the National University of Singapore offers the following courses:
- MSc In Finance
- MSc In Human Capital Management and Analytic
- MSc In Business Analytics (Offered by NUS Business Analytics Centre)
- MSc In Real Estate
- MSc In Management
- MSc In Marketing Analytics & Insights
- MSc In Marketing Analytics & Insights + CEMS MIM
- MSc In Supply Chain Management (Offered by The Logistics Institute Asia Pacific)
- MSc In Accounting
- MSc In Management + CEMS MIM
MBA from the National University of Singapore
In the 2018 QS World University Rankings, the NUS MBA is rated 15th in the world. The NUS MBA program offers a vibrant learning and discovery environment, preparing students for leadership roles in today’s global industry. Students in the NUS MBA program receive a strong foundation in general management as well as optional options that allow them to tailor their education to their specific career goals.
Students who complete the NUS MBA program will have a thorough understanding of key management ideas as well as industry-specific skills. Students can choose from a variety of disciplines, including finance, healthcare management, marketing, strategy and organization, and innovation and entrepreneurship.
National University of Singapore Courses
The National University of Singapore offers a wide range of courses. NUS offers a varied range of teaching and research courses in the form of degrees and other programs, including:
- Concurrent degree programs
- Minor programs
- Joint-degree programs
- Double-major programs
- Double-degree programs
- Part-time programs
Student Exchange Programs are offered by NUS in collaboration with over 300 universities in over 40 countries. In addition to full-time bachelor’s degree programs, undergraduate students have the following options:
- NOC (NUS Overseas Colleges)
- University Scholars Programme SEP (Student Exchange Programme) NOC (NUS Overseas Colleges) NOC (NUS Overseas Colleges) NOC (NUS Oversea
- University Program at Town College (UTCP)
Each semester, NUS provides about 2,000 modules across its 17 faculties, departments, and schools.
Students can enroll in graduate and undergraduate courses in the following subjects:
|· Art and Social Sciences|
|· Business and Accountancy|
|· Design and Environment|
|· Arts and Social Sciences|
|· Design and Environment|
|· Duke-NUS Medical School|
|· Integrative Sciences and Engineering|
|· Public Health|
|· Public Policy|
|· Cancer Science Institute|
|· Centre for Quantum Technologies|
|· Institute of Systems Science|
|· Risk Management Institute|
|· Temasek Defence System Institute|
|· The Logistics Institute – Asia Pacific|
What are the National University of Singapore’s (NUS) entrance requirements?
International candidates must achieve the following minimal program-specific eligibility standards before applying to the National University of Singapore:
- A grade 12 in a relevant subject is essential, as are strong grades in all five major subjects (including English)
- IELTS: A minimum overall band score of 6.5 is required, with 6.5 in each of the Reading and Writing components.
- The TOEFL exam requires a minimum internet-based score of 92-93 or a paper-based score of 580.
- A total score of 62 is expected on the PTE Academic, with 62 in each of the reading and writing areas.
- For C1 Advanced/Cambridge English-Advanced, a minimum score of 180 is required.
- EL1119 C6
- A minimum of 200 standardized exams: MUET
- The SAT must have a 600-point evidence-based Reading and Writing component and a 650-point Mathematics section. • ACT: A composite score of 29 or above is necessary, including an 8 in the Writing part.
Graduate Level Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with honors in a related discipline
- An IELTS score of at least 6 bands is required for MS.
- An MBA requires a minimum score of 6.5 bands.
- You must have a TOEFL score of 85–92 to be considered for MS.
- It is necessary to have a minimum MBA score of 100.
- A minimum GMAT score of 650 is required (must for MBA)
- The GRE requires a minimum score of 320 in Verbal and Quantitative, as well as a 3.5 in Analytical (optional)
- Students can also use their SAT results to demonstrate their English competence.
Indian applicants can submit their GATE scores with a minimum of 90% to apply to NUS instead of taking the GRE or GMAT. In extreme situations, such as those with more than ten years of professional experience, the GMAT or GRE requirement may be waived. In this instance, individuals must also exhibit their great academic achievements and excel in the interview phases.
When applying to the National University of Singapore, international students must present the following documents:
- Academic transcripts that have been certified (of previous qualifications in English)
- A motivational letter, a personal statement, or a statement of purpose (essays as per course requirements)
- Student’s CV/academic résumé • English proficiency test score/result
- A valid passport is required.
- For undergraduates, a valid SAT or ACT exam score is required.
- For graduates, a valid GMAT, GRE, or GATE exam score is required.
Please note that these are the typical NUS application criteria, which may change depending on the degree. The specific criteria should be reviewed on the official website’s course page.
Jobs at the National University of Singapore
There are several Jobs at the National University of Singapore.
Some of the job vacancies at the National University of Singapore are listed here. For additional information on these career openings, go to the University’s website.
- Research Assistant (CHI Study)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in nonlinear optical microscopy and super-resolution microscopy
- Management Assistant Officer, Department of Family Medicine (2-Year Contract))
- Dissector (Laboratory Technologist) – Department of Anatomy (2-year contract)
- Research Assistant (Statistics and Data Science)
- Principal Network Engineer / IT Architect
- AI Courseware Developer for AI Singapore
- Research Fellow, Dept of Analytics and Operations
- Assistant Manager/Manager (CRM Analyst – Salesforce)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Photoacoustic Microscopy and Imaging Biomedical Engineering Engineering
- Laboratory Technologist, Department of Pathology (2-year contract)
- Research Assistant (Dentistry)
- Project Manager (IT)
- Laboratory Executive (Allergy, Immunology & Rheumatology) (2-years contract)
- Senior Executive, Undergraduate Teaching Programme (2-year contract)
- Manager / Associate Director
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Biospectroscopy and Bioimaging
- Associate Director, Alumni Relations
- Research Fellow
- Research Fellow / Senior Research Fellow (CSCB/MW) Office of Research Duke-NUS Medical School
Notable Alumni of the National University of Singapore
The following is a list of famous National University of Singapore alumni, in order of wiki page popularity:
Mahathir bin Mohamad is a Malaysian politician, novelist, and physician who served as Malaysia’s fourth and seventh Prime minister from July 1981 to October 2003 and May 2018 to March 2020, respectively. Before becoming Prime Minister in July 1981, he served as the 4th Deputy Prime Minister and in a variety of other Cabinet roles. As a Member of Parliament, he represented Langkawi from May 2018 to May 2019, Kubang Pasu from August 1974 to March 2004, and Kota Setar Selatan from April 1964 to May 1969. (MP). He is known as the “Father of Modernism.”
Nguyen Xuan Phuc
Nguyn Xuân Phc is a Vietnamese politician and the current President of the country. He is one of Vietnam’s most prominent figures, alongside Nguyn Ph Trng, the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam (de facto leader). Phc was rated second in the Communist Party’s 13th Politburo, and third in the 12th Politburo, behind Nguyn Ph Trng. Nguyn Xuân Phc has also served in the 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th sessions of the National Assembly as a full member.
Lee Kuan Yew
Lee Kuan Yew is a philanthropist and businessman from Singapore. LKY, or Lee Kuan Yew, was a Singaporean politician and lawyer who served as Prime Minister from 1959 to 1990 and is largely regarded as the country’s founding father. He was one of the first members of the People’s Action Party, which has dominated the country since its inception.
Halimah Binte Yacob is a politician from Singapore. She is the current President of Singapore, having won the 2017 Singapore presidential election without opposition. She is the first female president of the United States.
Tony Tan Keng Yam
Tony Tan Keng Yam is a former Singaporean deputy prime minister who served as the country’s seventh president from September 1, 2011, to August 31, 2017. He was the victorious candidate in the 2011 Singapore presidential election.