So far so good on this important topic we’ve dealing with sometime now, sheet metals. It is basically explained as a special type of metal formed by industrial processes into flat and thin pieces. Metalworkers has found this workpiece important as its purpose on fabrication project cannot be overlooked.
If you’ve being with us on our previous articles you will see and understand clearly everything on sheet metals. Well you still have access to them. Checkout!
Everything you need to know about sheet metals
Today we’ll be looking at the various types of tools use for sheet metal processes like bending, cutting, and shaping. We’ll also examine the tools used for sheet metal fabrication process.
Different sheet metal work tools
Below are the tools used in sheet and other metals fabrication process to carry out operations like shearing, blanking, shaping, punching, etc.
Angle grinder – an angle grinder is used to cut, sharpen, sand, grind and cut different types of metals. It is also known as disc grinder or side grinder.
Throatless shear – this is use to make straight, curved, and irregular cuts on sheet metals with ease and accuracy.
Corner notcher – this sheet metal cutting tools are used on different types of sheet metals. It is powered hydraulically.
Planishing hammer – planishing hammers are used as sheet metal tools to flattens, finely shapes, straightens, and smoothens sheet surfaces.
Flange and punch tool – the punching tools are used on sheet metals to creates holes around the materials edges.
Shrinker and stretcher – this sheet metal tools function the same as it is primarily used to from curves on sheet metals.
Cleco fasteners – cleco is temporary fasteners that is used to hold sheet metals and other parts like frames or stiffeners together.
Processing tools for sheet metals
The following are the tools used during the manufacture of sheet metals;
Sheet metal bending tools are tools and equipment used for the bending operation. Here are some bending tools and equipment used for the process:
1. Bench top budget brakes – these tools consist of a wide bench at the top with an upper and lower fixed beam. the bending equipment forms a radius using the upper beam of the bench top sheet metal brake.
2. Bracket makers – this is another great equipment for bending sheet metals. It helps to creates brackets of many shapes and specifications using the 90-degree tools and radius tools.
Forming is the process in which the geometry of a sheet metal is deform due to the application of force. The followings are the sheet metal forming tools;
1. Shrinker stretchers – it is one of the most used and common forming tools, used to shape materials. The operation does not require the need of heating, cutting or welding and smooth radius curves can be form with ease. Well, the primary purpose of this sheet metal tools is for making inside curves. This is achieved when the metal is shrink on one side.
Shearing tools allows a straight cutting on a materials, done to make angled cuts. But generally, shearing is used to make cuts that are parallel to the existing edge.
1. Throatless hand shears – it is used on heavy steel frame as it is design with no throat. Due to the arched top blade the tools cut smoothly.
Join our Newsletter
2. Rotary shears – this tool for sheet metal forming process is a bit more flexible than the hand shear. It is used to cut almost all types of shape as its cutter can be adjustable one and it contains a ratcheting head.
Some other popular types of tools used for sheet metal fabrication process include:
- Steel Rule
- Burring Tool
- Half Round Stake
- Hand Stake
- Trammel Points
- Grooving Stake
- Centre Punch
- Prick Punch
- Ball Pean Hammer
- Raising Hammer
- Taper Stake
I hope you found this post interesting and you’ve attained knowledge. If so, you can freely give your point in our comment section and please share with other students. Thanks!