Today I will be discussing on investment casting process it applications, advantages and disadvantages. previously, some articles were published on casting. check below:
- What is Smelting?, and Iron ore Smelting process
- The 3 Stages of Heat Treatment Process
- What is die casting? – its advantages and disadvantages
What is investment casting?
Investment casting, which is also known as “lost wax” casting. it is a method of precision casting process to manufacture small complicated parts, using almost all alloy. It uses a replication of a wax patterns to create parts.
Investment casting became an enabling technology in most industries today. Industries include;
- Aerospace and defense
- Power generation
- Oil and gas
- Space exploration
- Medical / orthopedics
- Commercial and consumer products.
In early stage, it was used by ancient Chinese and Egyptians culture to create artwork. Not until development of jet turbine engine at the end of world war II.
Investment casting offers better advantages as it is applicable in different field. The following are its advantages.
- It offers smooth surface finish
- Ability to produce versatile and intricate finish
- It offers accurate dimension
- One of its greatest advantages of investment casting is that, it offers good and quality integrity to the casting. and
- Ability to produce casting with at least 1000 pounds weight.
Factors to be considered when choosing this casting process:
It is important to know the things it can offers before choosing it. these factors will lead to succession of the production if job truly suit the casting process. factors consider include;
- Tooling cost: it is important to know and calculate the tooling cost before choosing any casting process. for example, casting item of low quantity in investment casting will be more expensive. So, it should be considered when pursuing long impression. Payment for castings should be considered when determining if this casting offers greater values.
- Size limitations: suitability for producing small parts. Big parts should not be performed on this process, unlike sand casting that is suitable for large parts. Items with small size and intricate shape should be done on this casting process.
- Very small structures: this process is suitable for making thin-walled applications. However, presence of cores can be difficult and challenging. Core typically cannot be smaller than 1/16 (1.6mm) and deeper than 1.5x diameter.
- Timing: time to produce items should also be considered in investment casting. the multi-step way is more time consuming.
And that is it for this article, what is investment casting. I also examined on its applications, advantages. Freely ask questions and please share. Thanks for reading!