Today I will be discussing on what is stud welding, its applications and advantages. Previously, some articles was published on arc welding. Check below:
- What is Metal inert gas welding (MIG), and its applications?
- Shielded arc welding (SMAW) and how it works
- What is FCAW, it applications and how it works
What is stud welding?
Generally, stud welding is a process by which a stud metal or fasteners is joined to a workpiece by using arc heat to weld both parts together. It is a fast fastening process that is perform in a few steps when compared with other processes. The fattener may be threaded, unthreaded, tapped, etc. and they can of various materials such as steel, stainless steel, aluminum, etc.
Arc stud welding
The arc stud welding is a reliable method of fastening for wide variety of applications. It can quickly weld any sizes, and create strong, one sided welds on the base metal, even as thin as 0.048 inch. It uses DC power supply to create the arc, which produces the joint in just 0.06 seconds.
this process has three common techniques which include: drawn arc stud welding, short arc stud welding and gas arc stud welding. Check out!
The followings are the applications of stud welding:
- It is a widely used process as provide a single sided phase, covering the stud zone.
- It is used for managing of wires around equipment
- Widely used in ship building and military applications
- It is also used on moving equipment like automotive, construction, agriculture, trailers etc.
- Finally, it is used in buildings and bridges.
The followings are the advantages of arc stud welding
- It offers excellent joint
- Ability to produce full cross-sectioned weld
- It offers stronger bond to the surrounding metal
- It produces one-sided weld
- The joints are vibration-proof, resist breakage, and weakening or loosing
- Its end products are appealing and attractive
- It gives greater design versatility
- It is economical, due to the elimination of through hole penetration
- The operation can be done by one person
- 4 Different Types of Metal Casting Process
- What is die casting? – its advantages and disadvantages
- Working principle of die casting process and its applications
And that is it for this article, what is stud welding process, its applications and advantages. I hope you enjoy it. If so, comment and share with others. Thanks for reading!