Today I will be discussing on electroslag applications, advantages and disadvantages. Previously an articles was published on principles of electroslag welding. Check out!
The followings are the applications of electroslag welding.
- It is used in plate industries where thick plate of about 80mm are joined
- The welding process is used to weld large casting and forging when producing a large composite structure
- It is used for welding parts with thick walls with large diameter parts, pressure vessels, storage tanks and ships.
Some applications of electroslag welding are stated below:
- Because of the slow cooling rate, cold cracking is avoided
- The process is semi-automatic and faster
- Slag remaining is eliminated
- Heavy parts can be weld
- Low cost for joint penetration
- Low distortion
Despite its good advantages, electroslag welding still offers some disadvantages. The followings are the limitations of this welding process.
- Slow rate of cooling gives columnar grain to the weld
- Very high heat applied to the base metals
- Proper cooling is needed for high temperature applied
- Only vertical position can be welded
- Offers low toughness to the weld
- What is evaporative pattern casting, its applications and adavantages
- What is investment casting process, its applications and advantages?
- Working principles of investment casting
And that is it for this article, applications, advantages and disadvantages of electroslag welding. I hope you enjoy it. If so, comment and share with others. Thanks for reading!