Today I will be discussing the applications, advantages, and disadvantages of electro slag. Previously an article was published on principles of electro slag welding. Check out!
The followings are the applications of electro slag welding.
- It is used in plate industries where the thick plate of about 80mm are joined
- The welding process is used to weld large casting and forging when producing a large composite structure
- It is used for welding parts with thick walls with large diameter parts, pressure vessels, storage tanks, and ships.
Advantages and disadvantages of electro slag welding
Some applications of electro slag welding ESW are stated below:
- Because of the slow cooling rate, cold cracking is avoided
- The process is semi-automatic and faster
- Slag remaining is eliminated
- Heavy parts can be weld
- Low cost for joint penetration
- Low distortion
Despite its good advantages, electro slag welding still offers some disadvantages. The followings are the limitations of ESW.
- A slow rate of cooling gives columnar grain to the weld
- Very high heat applied to the base metals
- Proper cooling is needed for high temperature applied
- Only vertical position can be welded
- Offers low toughness to the weld
That is it for this article, where the applications, advantages, and disadvantages of electro slag welding ESW are being discussed. I hope you enjoyed the reading, if so, kindly share with other students. Thanks for reading, see you next time!